Saturday, May 15, 2010

From the Attic to the Yard

Pig stuff??
Huh?
Pig stuff, I collect it, Ya got any?? Ya know pig salt and pepper shakers, pig plates, ceramic pigs, pig toys, Pi..…
Yea, Yea, I got it? No, we had some plastic pigs in a Lego Set but we sold them to a lady earlier.
Was she about this tall and trashy looking? She always beats me to the good stuff. You know which way she headed??
Uh, no, I didn’t watch, sorry.
That all you have?
Uh yea, well there’s my son. If you seen his room you would think he was a pig.
She looks at me like I’m crazy.
That's a nice car is it for sale?
Uh, No it's my car.
How much for this frame?
50 cents
Will ya take a quarter?
Sure
Her hubby pulls a huge roll of bills out of his overalls and peels out a note.
Can ya break a ten?
Nah, just take it.
Yard sales, Gotta love’m.
We lived on the main drag in a tiny town. We had a huge front yard and friends would ask if they could hold their yard sale in our yard. We never minded. It was a chance to unload some of our stuff, and then end up buying stuff of theirs we had our eyes on for years. Plus, we had to buy some junk cause we were running out of our own things to sell. I got a deal on a microwave. It was broke but it was only $5. I took it to work and found a bad resistor in it. It became the shop microwave for 15 yrs.
The wife and I argued over whether to sell her stereo or not. Why don’t you sell yours she asks? Well mine don’t work. I need to fix it… When BOOM. A friend coming down the road in his 4X4 truck, angles it and jumps the ditch. He had a load of stuff he wanted to sell.
It was always a big deal. One morning Michael Jordan stopped by on the way to his parent’s house. Well he didn’t actually stop. He had to slow down due to the people parked all over the road. Can’t believe he didn’t stop tho. I know he was temped. Hard to pass up that 70’s sectional sofa or the entertainment center made of only the finest in particleboard construction.
Yard saler’s are hard core. One morning we woke at 5:30 to the sound of voices in the carport. Deer in the headlights look when I flipped the lights on. “Early bird gets the worm was their reply” kinda grinning as they saw the 45 in their face. Better move on folks.
Then the next weekend you would drive by another yard sale and see your stuff for sale there and you wonder, did I really want to sell that in the first place. I still had the spot open in the garage for it and it was at a good price.

The circle of life.

5 comments:

My Aimless Infatuation said...

Great post,I went to yard sales this weekend,your story had me right there at yours. You have it down pat.

Pearl said...

I can think of worse collections!

Me, I have little glass birds and two sets of "seed" hens/roosters in the kitchen.

:-)

Pearl

Donna Tagliaferri said...

You remind of a character from Designing women, the writer that was married to Suzanne. This is a high honor from me. I am from Texas, I understand Southern style...new blog today, tell me what you think...

JennyMac said...

HAHA...I know someone who would LOVE that collection! LOL.

I am not a collector of anything except books..and apparently technological gadgets. haha.

Bunnym said...

Yep, yard saler's are very hard core to the point of mapping out their route and researching their prospective treasure/junk. Not that I know this as a fact...I'm just sayin'

bunny

ps...and don't forget the stationary bike...not that I know this either.